Thursday, February 18, 2010

Bleeding Skull is back, with a broader focus than the purely anarchic trash-horror slant that initially beguiled me ... after two years away (thanks to some "personal tragedy" that may have informed one BS writer's musical output -- although perhaps I am extrapolating) Bleeding Skull returns not only to unearth the most eccentric and surreal gore/slasher art but also to examine the outre in other non-horror spheres, and I celebrate this development. Budnik and Ziemba never look down in scorn at the sublimely ridiculous works they encounter, but they don't whitewash trash either, a difficult tightrope walk to accomplish (and I know, I've tried it). Check out this piece on my favorite director, Doris Wishman, a review of Something Weird's Indecent Desires/My Brother's Wife double feature ... I thought I had laid down the last word on that particular pairing when I covered the DVD for Resonance Magazine some five years ago, but when it comes to Doris, there's always something more to say.

No comments:

Post a Comment