Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Yesterday was my first volunteer shift at the 826 Michigan Robot Repair & Supply Store ... while it might be odd for a person like me who hates children, retail, education and jobs that don't pay any money to affiliate himself with such an august organization, it's actually part of my brain therapy to expose myself to situations that might cause me discomfort (or discomfort to others) in order to break through the various walls I've built to shield me from the threat of enjoying life. Manning the register in the gift shop is one thing, I am still a bit intimidated about the prospect of serving as one of their after-school tutors. I mistakenly thought that 826 was strictly a writing workshop for kids, something I would feel perfectly competent being a part of, but the tutors actually help students with whatever kind of homework they might be bringing to the table, meaning I could be called upon to assist in various mathematical or scientific questions that I could never comprehend or care to comprehend the first time around. I've been assured by 826 brass that having no knowledge or skills in these areas won't detract from my usefulness, and although I'm still skeptical, I'm hoping that after a week or two in the store and watching the process from a close distance I'll finally find the gumption to try a little tutoring myself. Hey, as long as it doesn't interfere with band practice ...

No comments:

Post a Comment